EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW : ALEXANDRA LONG

by - Tuesday, April 25, 2017




Prior to the start of Paris Fashion Week Fall 2017 I had been in contact with the very talented London based designer Alexandra Long, and she kindly found some time in her busy schedule for me to interview her. In the following interview, I wanted the readers to get to know more about Alexandra, her history and what her plans are for her next collection.

----------------

Can you tell me about your childhood and how you got into fashion?

I grew up in the UK but I spent quite a lot of time in Romania as a child in the summers, especially in the factories. This taught me a lot about the processes involved in making a garment and showed me pattern making and machining first hand.


----------------

Knowing that generations of your family have been involved in the fashion industry, did you feel pressure to follow in their footsteps?

I didn’t feel any pressure to follow in their footsteps and I was always encouraged to do whatever I wanted, however I have always loved fashion and I knew I wanted to become a fashion designer.


----------------

Who are your favourite designers? and which celebrity's style do you love to follow?

I love vintage clothes and especially vintage Saint Laurent. As for current designer, I was in love with Raf Simons at Dior and I look forward to see what he will do at Calvin Klein. I also like Givenchy accessories, and Christopher Kane has always been someone I followed.


----------------

What are your ambitions for the future? 

In the future I would love to be in a James Bond movie, be an evil Bond girl villain, and have my clothes featured on the cover of a major fashion publication!


----------------

You launched your first collection in 2015, how was the process leading up to this, did you have any hurdles you had to overcome? and were you pleased with how the collection turned out?

 The first collection was inspired by an exhibition about wartime fashion at the Imperial War Museum and it went from there. I am happy with how it turned out and designing it was a great experience.


----------------

I am very excited for your new 'Tsarina' collection. What were the inspirations/meanings behind your new collection?

My new collection was inspired by Catherine the Great and the Russian monarchy, but it is also influenced by the 70s disco movement.


----------------

Where did you shoot your video advertising campaign for the collection, and why did you chose this location?

My video for this collection was shot in a basement of an office building in Romania, which used to be a garment factory, so it was a really interesting and unexpected place to set up a catwalk.


----------------

What is your favourite piece from the collection, could you tell me why this is your favourite?

My favourite piece is the orange velvet suit because it is decadent, sexy and sophisticated. I like a hint of masculinity and contrast with the soft velvet fabric. Mink adds luxury and glamour and when I wear it I feel like I should be in Studio 54!


----------------

You unveiled the new collection at "Loulou’s" a club in Mayfair, London, why did you chose this location / how does this relate to your collection?

I love Loulou’s because of its opulent interiors and disco dancefloor.


----------------

You also featured the new collection at Paris Fashion Week, how was the event for you?

Paris Fashion Week is always so much fun. We had a chance to show our collection to many buyers and stylists, and even the likes of Holli Rogers (CEO of Browns) and stylist Catherine Baba came to see it.


----------------

When will the new collection be available to buy on your website?

The new collection will be available in September 2017


----------------

Thank you so much for your time Alexandra and I am really looking forward to seeing the new collection.

You are most welcome Chris, thank you for the great questions.

----------------

Pictures were provided by AlexandraLong.com. If you would like to see more from the upcoming autumn/winter 2017 Tsarina collection, you can see the very artistic advertising campaign video below


- Alexandra Long - 
Social Media

Website
-
Instagram
-
Facebook
-
Twitter
-
Pinterest
-
Youtube




You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. She is really good when it comes to fashion designing, this interview let me know more about her and what are her plans going forward. Thank you for sharing it

    ReplyDelete